Wednesday 28 August 2013

It feels like home.



I never planned on living elsewhere. Montreal has always been my home, until about two years ago when it simply didn't feel like home anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love this city. I always will. It's exciting in its own ways and it's beautiful. It's my family and friends and everything I've ever known. But for the last few months I've been toying with the idea of moving to the UK to be with my boyfriend and now it's not really a vague dream? We have plans. We're saving up. I'm reading about visas, getting ticket updates, and trying to adapt my CV for another country. It's very scary.

But at this point in my life, he feels like home.

A lot of people have told me it would be easier for him to move to Montreal. After all, I'm the girl who's strangely attached to her parents (they're my best friends) and who sees her entire family on a weekly basis. I've never wanted to live anywhere else because I always thought I had everything here. But the closest people? They're telling me to go for it. 

The biggest support has come from my parents, bless them. My mom is always saying how they'll retire back to Peru and live on the beach, where I can come visit them when I'm on vacation. She's fully adopted the idea that I'll end up somewhere else in the world but I'll be happy. I think that makes her happy too. And my dad? Well, he doesn't say much, but he's never said no either.

I'm excited to move to another country. It might not be permanent, but it could be. I don't know. But I know that the UK never felt foreign to me? I lived there for four months straight and never once did I feel like I didn't belong. It might be because of my boyfriend, but I like to think that I also fell in love with the country. What a beautiful country.

Sometimes things get a little insane for me and the boyfriend. It constantly feels like we're aiming for this impossible dream. I'm working my ass off trying to save every penny I can (while staying fashionable and having a social life), while he keeps looking for a decent job. So for the next year? I'm going to focus on graduating with decent grades and saving as much as I can. But I also need to remind myself that I can't just become a hermit and no spend a dime on myself. I need to see friends and create memories and say yes to whatever comes up, because I might be moving in a year? I don't know yet. That's the plan for now.

No matter how hopeless I feel, the boyfriend's always there to remind me that yes, this is a shit time for us, and it isn't easy - but it is possible. 

Possibilities. That's all I need, after all.

Have you ever been in a long distance relationship? If yes, how was it?
Would you ever consider moving to another country?

0 comments:

Post a Comment