Wednesday 28 August 2013

Paris, Part II


On our second day in Paris, the boyfriend and I met up with my cousin Sarah who was on her own Eurotrip with her friends. It took us a few wrong turns and a lot of arguing but we managed to randomly bump into her on a random street of Paris. How perfect was that? We didn't have any set plans for the day except to follow her and her friends around. 
Our first stop was Père-Lachaise, the famous cemetery where the likes of Jimi Hendrix and Oscar Wilde are buried. Although I didn't have initially want to go see a cemetery, it was a fun experience. It's a beautiful place, so I went a little photo crazy as expected. The cemetery is such a huge place that you need a map to find your way around, I can see how easily someone could get lost in there. The day was gorgeous, which only made everything better. It almost took all the creepiness out of the day. 





Fun fact about this statue of a dead man, whom the Internet has informed me is named Victor Noir. He was shot and his statue replicates how he was found. Rumour is, as a kind French woman explained to us, that if you rub all of parts of Noir's body that are still gleaming (including his crotch, which made for a good laugh), then you'll marry within the year. As everyone other girl stepped away with an instant fear for commitment, I saw it as a perfect opportunity. I quickly gave him a rub down (I know how it sounds) and told my boyfriend he was officially mine. I'm a sucker for a romantic tradition like this one, so I couldn't pass it up.


These wise words were written on the glass surrounding Wilde's grave. 


The greatest people you will ever meet.


After the long walk, we were starving, so we stopped off at a cafe and had some lunch. I ordered a croque-monsieur, which was delicious. Next up, the Jardins du Luxembourg. One word: Beautiful. Also, I love how Parisians just seem to be lounging around all the time? Or maybe they were all on vacation? Either way, I wish people back home made an effort to simply sit and relax more often as they seem to do in France. We'd all be a lot happier.





Some amazing street art near our apartment.


Goofy girls.


We spent the evening walking along the Seine again, as we showed the girls Notre-Dame. The boyfriend was sprinting with joy when he discovered a Haagen-Dazs shop nearby. We went back twice! It's the perfect night time snack when you're on vacation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment