Sunday 27 October 2013

Halloween Cupcakes

I was feeling a little Martha Stewart today, so I decided to make some Halloween themed cupcakes. I usually make them straight out of the box, but I decided to be adventurous and made them completely from scratch. You know what? They're obviously much better than the ready mix stuff. They taste a lot fluffier and a lot less greasy than usual, they're delicious. Anyway, I got the recipe from canadianliving.com and I thought I'd share it with you guys because it was so easy to make! I got about seventeen cupcakes in total, and it took maybe about thirty minutes in total. This is the simplest recipe I could find, it's a great project for a Sunday afternoon.

Ingredients: 


1 vanilla bean, (optional)

1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1-2/3 cups (400 mL) milk




With small sharp knife, halve vanilla bean lengthwise (if using); scrape seeds into large bowl. Add butter and sugar; beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla.

Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; stir into butter mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of milk. Spoon into paper-lined or greased muffin cups. 

Bake in 350ºF (180ºC) oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool on rack. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 24 hours.)



What a massive chunk of butter.





I separated the entire mix into two bowls, because I wanted some green and orange cupcakes. The food colouring was amazingly good, it was a powder colouring and I put in about a tablespoon in each mix.






So fluffy.


I'm pretty awful with the icing gun, so some of these look ridiculous.





Delicious.

Have you make some halloween treats for the holidays?
Any favourite cupcake recipes to share?
I seem to enjoy baking more than cooking, it's a lot sweeter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment